Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Other Kind of Diabetic Hand


The cause of my Diabetes Insipidus is unknown. Therefore, I have Idiopathic Central Diabetes Insipidus. Central Diabetes Insipidus is caused when the body does not produce enough (if any) of the hormone Vasopressin (a hormone secreted from the Pituitary gland in the brain). Vasopressin affects how the kidneys filter and use water. In simple words, my body was dehydrating itself. ALL water that went in also went out – plus some.

Note: Diabetes Insipidus has nothing to do with the hormone Insulin, there is no cure for DI, and really no way to prevent it. It is something that I will live with the rest of my life.

A hormone replacement called DDAVP is used to treat Central Diabetes Insipidus. Although DDAVP can be taken through injection, it is also available in several other forms. I take the generic pill form called Desmopressin. I sometimes refer to it as my Desmo. It is my ever faithful companion. It goes everywhere with me!!!!  If my medication wears out I am in need of a bathroom, water, and more Desmo.

Because my body dumps so much during periods when my medicine is not in, I sometimes have a hard time keeping enough fluids in me. So, I get dehydrated which causes my skin to start getting dry, chapped, and eventually bleed. The skin on my hands is what is often the most effected. Thus, resulting in what I call DI hands or the other kind of Diabetic hand.  



2 Corinthians 12:9  
And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.


No comments:

Post a Comment